Reaffirming January's Resolution

     So like many of you, I had no idea where to start as far as a resolution for the year. I wasn't too keen on the idea of starting something too new because I didn't want to give up before the end of January. However, there were many things I had recognized as needing improvement or at least attention in my life. I thought if I wanted to take a new approach to life I needed to approach how I made my resolution this year differently as well. So I spruced up my resolution ordeal by deciding to reaffirm an individual area each month. Keeping the duration short gives me the assurance to refocus without losing confidence. All while providing the freedom for multiple resolution ideas.
     I started by writing out what I wanted to accomplish in the year and then writing out what I didn't enjoy about myself from the previous year. This helped address where I needed improvements. I decided that each month I would create an "umbrella" plan. Focusing on one large area overall, while pinpointing actions and affirmations to improve each. Creating a visual plan was helpful in the idea that it, led me to research new approaches to combat the problems and it was a reminder at each glance.
     After some thought, January was dedicated to writing more. I was upset that in previous years I wasted too much time wishing I had the time to write again instead of doing so. I listed that my main concerns were not having time, forgetting my ideas, and having no support for a hobby. So I set out on finding some counterargument to give me a chance at this goal. These included:
  1. WAKING UP EARLY
          I decided to set an early alarm each weekday. Having those few extra moments to drink coffee and opening my social sites to share and interact brought such a communal feeling to the start of my day. Responding to messages, comments, and collaborating with other bloggers during this time helped me keep up with the community built around blogging and my own supporters. Which in turn made me more excited to share my writing. My early morning became a routine for organization, goal-setting, and planning the coming days and weeks. I was able to feel in charge of making things happen.
  2. CLEARING MIND FOR REFLECTION
         Writing doesn't always come easily to me but I do know that having a clear headspace allows me to organize thoughts, include relatable content, and find thoughtful insights into the topics I wished to share. I incorporated more meditation into my workout routine, mostly during my yoga cool-down. I also listened to soulful podcasts throughout the day. Repeating positive words of encouragement to myself was the quiet confidence necessary to be open with taking risks because I was telling myself I could and would cope with it all. This time for reflection made me feel so much more empowered in my writing. I had mental pep talks that pushed me to do more and really appreciate my own writing style. No, I don't write like other bloggers and that's part of having a niche. Clearer writing and a better appreciation for the work I was putting out made this resolution worth committing to.               
  3. KEEPING TRACK OF IDEAS
           Fortunately, I often have new ideas for blogging topics. Unfortunately, I also have ideas for sewing projects and crafts or activities with my kids jumbled in there too. Throw in my family schedule, band concerts, birthdays, doctor appointments, orthodontist visits, and life in general and it can be easy for me to lose focus. I was finding that all my golden ideas were nowhere to be found when I found time to sit with my laptop. Designating a journal for writing ideas, quotes, and subjects to research helped keep me on topic when typing it out. Finding a cute journal, like these, made it that much more enjoyable. Found at amazon.com.
    And of course, I had many bright ideas when doing mundane tasks such as the dishes or laundry. I found that keeping my phone nearby to record my thoughts and my daily talks to myself, provided a clearer path from concept to the conclusion in my posts.
  4. LEAVING MY COMFORT ZONE
         A perfect day would be spent cuddling my littles while either reading or getting into a videogame. Maybe some online shopping for fabric and baking something new thrown in there too. But I would not want to leave my pajamas, much less the house. I just enjoy what I know. New places, things, and people can be draining. So sharing my work was a place I wanted to push myself to. I knew that if I could share my work others would show some encouragement to continue and learn more. Crossing this line helped me appreciate all the effort I was putting into my writing and blog, from renting books on blogging to signing up for online courses for the technicalities on layouts. I broke a barrier and learned so much about what laid beyond.
  5. EXPRESSING HOW MUCH I NEEDED THIS
         I could feel that writing and creating were something I needed. I knew I was more than a mother. But I wasn't feeling it. That was leaving me feeling empty and unfulfilled. So when asking for help finding time to do this I was expressing how emotionally dull I was. My husband was a huge amount of support. His attention to the kids and my emotions were beyond amazing. I knew he was listening to more than my words, he was truly helping my heart sing. And to all the bloggers who followed, shared, and provided suggestions to improve everything I was questionable on, thank you sincerely. Your advice, support, and knowledge helped me continue to express my wants and bloom.

   I can easily say January was a success. I put my all into this resolution and have much to show for it. Within the month I read two books on the topic of blogging, took two courses (technology and social media-based), met SO many bloggers, wrote about things I had on my mind, shared more of myself with the world, and now have a substantial understanding of where I want to go from here with my new following. I still have aspirations for this area and that shows I did what I set out to do. To embrace an area of creativity and ensure its longevity. January was so fulfilling and has made me that much more excited to continue with February.



Comments

  1. Congrats on having an amazing month. That’s such a good idea to have one focus for the month. I’ve done the same in my business and found it has been really successful 💗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tackling one focus makes getting the work done and identifying what does and doesn't work much easier! Thank you 😊

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment.
I am all about positive communication here at Waking Woolslayer!

Popular Posts